Sunday, April 24, 2005

Learn English in Childeren TV Program

In my house, there are some videotapes that has American TV programs for children. You may ask me "Why?". That's because, I had lived in the U.S. when I was a child (0~3 years old) and my mother recorded some programs to please me and my younger sister. Then, today I have a free time and the idea to watch the videotape popped into my head!
I watched the "Sesame Street". It's very popular in Japan. In the program, they use only English. But English that is used isn't so difficult, because it's for children. There were some phrases that I couldn't listen to and understand, however the behaviors of the characters helped me. When I watched it, I realized that TV programs for children are very good materials to improve my English listening skill. That's because characters' voices are not like humans'!! I have thought watching movies improve my English skill. It's true but actor and actress don't change their voices in the film. In the cartoon, characters don't have voices like us. For, example, Cookie Monster's voice is very hard to listen to! He says only "I LOVE COOKIE!" The phrase is very easy but his way of talking is different from our ways. I think to be able to listen to fast (natural speed) spoken English isn't the goal. To be able to understand English that is spoken by several people is the real goal. That's because, I can say, "Could you speak slowly?" but I can't say, "Could you change your voice?".
Anyway, I realized TV programs for children are good materials to improve my English skill. There are more videotapes in my house, so I'll watch them in my free time. And I realized one more thing today. When I was in a preschool, I often watched English videos, for example Sesame Street and Sleeping Beauty etc... How did I understand them with no Japanese!?

↓This is a word book. It's good to know nouns of the materials in our daily life!

Sesame Street Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

At Fri Apr 29, 07:53:00 a.m., Blogger CCoder said...

Hi Azusa!
I like Sesame St when i was child too... And what you say is true, Chlidren TV Progs are a good way to learn english.
Another good way (but difficult) is listening music. Trying to figure out what singer is sayin' is something that requires time and to be patient.
Movies are a good tool too..
Another thing i do is watching U.S. CNN... they talk fast, and there are a lot of non-american english speakers, so if you think understanding British or American english is hard, you should try listening english speaked by people from India, Germany, or France...

See ya.
(I saw you have an "active" blog... i will check it out very often)

 
At Fri Apr 29, 08:41:00 a.m., Blogger Azusa said...

>Mai
Thank you for your comment. I knew Sesame Street is loved by many people from all over the world! I wanna see it, but it isn't broadcast in Japan now...

>federico
Thank you for your visitting and comment! And thanks for your advice. I'll try to watch CNN news and listen to music to improve my English skill.(:

 

Post a Comment

<< Home